Engine 568 at the platform at Green Park Station Bath c.1947
Both LMS locomotives, the second is an Ivatt 2-6-0, first introduced in 1947. The leading loco is a Fowler 4-4-0. In 1948, when the railways were nationalized and became British Railways, all LMS locomotives had 40000 added to their old numbers. The leading loco, therefore became, 40568. The changes were implemented very quickly to avoid confusion with locomotives with the same number from the different old companies, GWR, SR, LMS and LNER.