Corn Street, Bath c.1930
Photograph from original glass negative. Photographed by Mowbray Green. This photograph is an excellent documentation of Georgian buildings in the southern part of the city centre, all of which have now disappeared. One must imagine standing in the middle of what is now McDonalds (Southgate Street), looking westwards. St. James's Parade emerges on the right (it did not then continue down to join Southgate Street). The buildings on the left were replaced by the Forum cinema block and the extended St. James's Parade. The turning to the left in the middle distance is the Ambury and the furthest block of buildings is now the site of the open portion of Avon Street car park. Businesses seen here include Wyatt's (butchers) and J.B. Bowler's (founder and engineers). See Image Ref. 20995 for a useful map of this area pre-1933 redevelopment.