Roman Baths looking north east, Bath c.1900
Original caption as follows: Discoveries of the remains of the Roman Thermae have been made at intervals since 1755. The great rectangular bath was excavated in 1882. It measures 82ft 6in by 40ft 3 in. It is surrounded by an Ambulatory, originally arcaded according to the Scholae, but probably leaving the bath as now open to the sky. The bath is still filled with mineral water. The floor is covered with the original plates of lead, 10ft by 5ft as fixed by the Romans.