South Portal, Combe Down Tunnel, Bath. Cutting in Midford Sands c.1895
Taken from Nineteenth century photograph album of Bath & District. Bath Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. The cutting was a well known place to view the boundary between the Midford Sands (named by William Smith) and the base of the Inferior Oolite - the rock through which much of the tunnel is drilled.