The hut was opened on Saturday 19th October 1929 as Weston Adult School. The hut was originally used by the YMCA near the Pensions Hospital (in Combe Park), and it was moved following some fundraising. The school itself started in Upper Weston, then spent 29 years in Lower Weston, with the Women’s School celebrating its 21st anniversary that year. It is marked as a ‘hall’ on the maps of the 1950s and 1960s before it disappears from the map entirely by the 1970s. The last entry in the directories seems to indicate its use for the Newbridge Boys’ Club up until this entry disappears in 1967 to be replaced by the Horstmann Works.
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission