Built at the same time as Pulteney Bridge, as the old City prison, it had to be demolished to make way. At the time (1772-3), it was one of the only buildings in the area on that side of the river. Robert Adam was commissioned by Pulteney, but Thomas Atwood took over. A car wash operates in a forecourt across the road.
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission