17-23 Holloway, April 1965
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission
In this photograph, the demolition of Holloway is already well under way, with houses on the east side below number 17, on the left of the photo, already gone. The west side has already disappeared at this point, replaced by the new Wells Road and a huge retaining wall. The Workman's Rest can be seen in the centre of the photograph, on the corner of Beechen Cliff Place. The building on the right (23) had been the Old Fox public house, trading here since at least 1784.
Artist / Photographer
BBR Boxes Holloway
Original Width (mm)
Original Height (mm)
Bath Preservation Trust: Museum of Bath Architecture