The Plough was open by 1775 and became the Nelson and Victory from around 1846 to 1852, after which it reverted to its former name. It became the Southgate Hotel in about 1874 and closed in 1911. Unfortunately the photographer chose the wrong building as it is only partially shown on the right of the Bath Pram and Toy Shop. The building was demolished in 1971 to make way for the Southgate Shopping Centre. From a photographic survey from 1965-1966 of over 300 existing or lost pubs and breweries in Bath and the surrounding area. Photographed in June 1965.
SR Wilcox Slides
Original Width (mm)
Original Height (mm)
Bath Central Library
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission