The Chequers/The Hope and Anchor/The Exeter Inn, 15, Southgate Street, Bath 1965
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission
The Chequers (to the left of the Odeon cinema) was open by 1785. It was renamed the Hope and Anchor in 1789 and was rebuilt in 1807. In 1811 the name changed once more to the Exeter Inn and it closed in 1911. It was demolished in 1971 to make way for the Southgate Shopping Centre. From a photographic survey from 1965-1966 of over 300 existing or lost pubs and breweries in Bath and the surrounding area. Photographed inJune 1965.
SR Wilcox Slides
Original Width (mm)
Original Height (mm)
Bath Central Library