This photograph was meant to show the former Hare and Hounds pub at 38, Walcot Street, but the photographer chose the wrong building and instead took a photo of 31, Walcot Street. The Hare and Hounds was open by 1776 and was renamed the Fox and Hounds in the early 1780s. In 1904 the address changed to 38, Walcot Street. It closed in 1915 and was demolished in the late 1960s to make way for the Beaufort (now Hilton) Hotel and car park. From a photographic survey from 1965-1966 of over 300 existing or lost pubs and breweries in Bath and the surrounding area. Photographed in July 1965.
SR Wilcox Slides
Original Width (mm)
Original Height (mm)
Bath Central Library
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission