The King's Arms, 5, Walcot Street, Bath 1966
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission
This photograph was meant to show the former Hand and Shears pub at 13, Walcot Street, but the photographer chose the wrong buildings and instead took a photo of 5 & 7, Walcot Street. The King's Arms occupied the left side of the Bath Bun cafe by 1776 and it closed around 1856. At that time the address was 2, Walcot Street. The Hand and Shears was open by 1771 at 5, Walcot Street and was renamed the Nightingale in about 1848. Within four years it had reverted to the Hand and Shears and closed around 1854. In 1904 the address changed to 13, Walcot Street. From a photographic survey from 1965-1966 of over 300 existing or lost pubs and breweries in Bath and the surrounding area. Photographed in May 1966.
SR Wilcox Slides
Original Width (mm)
Original Height (mm)
Bath Central Library