The Anchor Brewery (not a pub) opened in the mid-1830s and closed in 1841 when James Grant Smith, the owner, went bankrupt. The brewery occupied the right side of the building (not of the same frontage as seen in the photograph). It was demolished in 1971 to make way for the Southgate Shopping Centre. From a photographic survey from 1965-1966 of over 300 existing or lost pubs and breweries in Bath and the surrounding area. Photographed in January 1966.
SR Wilcox Slides
Original Width (mm)
Original Height (mm)
Bath Central Library
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission