Built in 1708 and enlarged in 1720 by William Killigrew (employed by Harrison to add a ballroom). After Harrison died in 1735 it was taken over by Lord Hawley and his mistress Elizabeth Hayes (who may have been the sister of Dame Lindsey) and then Lord Hawley's servant Simpson. Simpson enlarged it again in 1749. It was converted after a fire to become the BRSLI. From a collection of 45 sketches of Bath by Thomas Robins the Elder (1716-1770). By kind permission of V&A Images.
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission