Inside Lindsey's Assembly Rooms, Bath c.1740-1770
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission
Distinguishable by its round windows, Lindsey's Assembly Rooms [Lovelace's or Wiltshire's Assembly Rooms] (Catharine Lovelace held the lease for Lindsey's fleetingly from 1736-7, before it became Wiltshire's). Designed by John Wood for Humphrey Thayer on the Old Bowling Green and Abbey Orchard c.1727 for Dame Lindsey. Thayer was a London apothecary and was on the charitable board behind the General Hospital, our Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases, the original building of which was designed by John Wood. Lindsey was a retired singer and the rooms were opened on 6th April 1730. From a collection of 45 sketches of Bath by Thomas Robins the Elder (1716-1770). By kind permission of V&A Images.
Artist / Photographer
Original Width (mm)
Original Height (mm)
V & A Museum