St. Mary's Chapel, Queen Square, Bath c.1757-9
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission
In the south-west corner of Queen Square once stood Bath's first proprietary chapel, quite possibly the first of its kind outside of London, by John Wood the Elder (1704-1754). The inside used the Ionic Order with six columns running down either side. It was 57 feet long, 48 feet wide and 36 feet high, with a lavish stuccoed ceiling by the Franchini brothers. The outside was in the Doric Order and a fine portico with three bays. Often compared to Inigo Jones' St. Paul's Chapel in Covent Garden, although a smaller structure. Costing about å£2,000 it opened for Divine Service on 25th December 1734. Wood's impressive bell turret is clearly shown here. The Midland Railway Co. demolished it in 1875 to widen the road to Green Park, then called Queen Square Station. From a collection of 45 sketches of Bath by Thomas Robins the Elder (1716-1770). By kind permission of V&A Images.
Artist / Photographer
Original Width (mm)
Original Height (mm)
V & A Museum