On 5th June 1760 Robins sat where the footings of Pulteney Bridge would go nine years later and captured in watercolour the view from Bathwick across the river. In the left foreground is the vernacular style Bathwick mill and on the opposite side of the River Avon are Wood's fashionable Palladian style Parades (1740-48), Princess Amelia's fishing lodge and Monk's Mill. The mill at Bathwick is recorded in the Domesday Book and the building shown by Robins probably dates from the end of the 17th century. A stone causeway leads to the heavy wooden door, set within a stone arch, against which is propped a wicker eel trap. In the distance are a number of buildings including Widcombe Hall, Ralph Allen's Gothick Lodge and as with almost all of Robins' depictions of Bath, Prior Park. From a collection of 45 sketches of Bath by Thomas Robins the Elder (1716-1770). By kind permission of V&A Images.
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission