Bishop Warburton married Allen's niece and, after Allen's death, succeeded him as the owner of Prior Park. Warburton is recorded as erecting a monument to Allen based (loosely) on the Temple of the Four Winds or, more likely the cylindrical tower on a triangular base represented the Holy Trinity and is therefore also associated with John Wood's Circus. It seems possible, especially when comparing Robins' sketches (this and Image Ref. 13050) that the Warburton's partially demolished and adapted the Gothick Lodge to create the Ralph Allen Monument in Monument Fields, c.1764. The Monument was demolished in 1953, but its memory persists in the name of Monument Field. From a collection of 45 sketches of Bath by Thomas Robins the Elder (1716-1770). By kind permission of V&A Images.
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission