Dr. William Oliver (1695-1764) was the inventor of the Bath Oliver biscuit and a physician at the Royal Mineral Water Hospital with Jerry Peirce. Oliver was friends with Ralph Allen, Alexander Pope and Bishop Warburton. He would also have known John Wood as he was the designer of the hospital. Wood started to develop Queen Square in 1728-36 and was the architect of Oliver's house on the north-west corner of the square. Robins shows Oliver's detached villa on the west side of Queen Square. Robins' interest may have been Oliver's stables and offices that fronted his garden with gothick facades and elevations. Inscribed Dr. Oliver and No. 23. From a collection of 45 sketches of Bath by Thomas Robins the Elder (1716-1770). By kind permission of V&A Images.
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission