Ralph Allen's Free Stone Quarry, Combe Down, Bath c.1740-1770
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission
This pencil sketch shows Allen's quarry at Combe Down, one of Padmore's cranes and the 11 workers' cottages, designed by John Wood the Elder (1704-1754) in c.1729, including Dial House in the centre. Dial House was the home of Allen's foreman (later Clerk of Works), Richard Jones and included a room set aside as a chapel for the workers. The row is now known as De Montalt Place. This sketch was almost certainly the study for a fan, which includes Ralph Allen and the fashionable company coming to inspect the stone quarries. Inscribed Allen and No. 19. From a collection of 45 sketches of Bath by Thomas Robins the Elder (1716-1770). By kind permission of V&A Images.
Artist / Photographer
Original Width (mm)
Original Height (mm)
V & A Museum