Cley Hill Lime works and Little Cley Hill near Warminster 1758
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission
Inscribed The Lime Works near Warminster, dated 24th June 1758 and signed with a monogram and No. 18. Cley Hill is an Iron age Hill fort and Round Barrow to the west of Warminster; there is evidence of medieval strip-lynchets still visible. The hill was partly damaged by quarrying for chalk since the medieval period. It is now better known for its reputation as a site popular with UFOs. Robins' view is taken from the position of the roundabout on the A350. It would have been the route Robins would have taken between Bath and Weymouth, where he may have visited Ralph Allen (1693-1764), who had a house there. Robins undertook prospects of a number of important houses in Dorset. From a collection of 45 sketches of Bath by Thomas Robins the Elder (1716-1770). By kind permission of V&A Images.
Artist / Photographer
Original Width (mm)
Original Height (mm)
V & A Museum