Widcombe Manor House and St. Thomas à Becket Church, Bath c.1740-1770
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission
Widcombe Manor House was originally built in 1656; it was rebuilt by Phillip Bennet in 1727 or 1736. This sketch shows Bennet's new south front and the west front with Venetian windows (altered in the 19th Century with the addition of a bay window and stone balconies). The garden reached down to the right of the house, Robins shows the flight of stone steps, garden statues and the Summer House with its three arched loggia designed by Richard Jones. Behind the Manor House is St. Thomas ÌÊ Becket Church built by Prior Cantlow, 1490-8. To the left of the sketch, on the skyline, is Widcombe Hill House. The tall building in the centre of the skyline is in the position of Crowe Hall and suggests that an earlier building stood here before Mrs. Crow built the hall in the late 1770s. From a collection of 45 sketches of Bath by Thomas Robins the Elder (1716-1770). By kind permission of V&A Images.
Artist / Photographer
Original Width (mm)
Original Height (mm)
V & A Museum