Site of the ferry below South Parade over the River Avon, Bath c.1740-1770
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission
Inscribed A view from the New Ferry over the Avon. This shows the steps down from South Parade to the ferry station. The ferry was the main way to cross the Avon to Bathwick Meadows, Spring Gardens and Lyncombe before Pulteney Bridge was built in 1769. The Parades were designed by John Wood (1704-1754) in 1740-48. Red & brown pen & watercolour; inscribed No. 21. From a collection of 45 sketches of Bath by Thomas Robins the Elder (1716-1770). By kind permission of V&A Images.
Artist / Photographer
Original Width (mm)
Original Height (mm)
V & A Museum