Extract from Gents Magazine dated 7th February 1754. The first stone of the building which is to be called the King's Circus, and which is to consist of 33 elegant houses, was laid. It is to be of a circular area of 318 feet diameter, surrounded by three equal and similar piles of building, in theatrical style. In the centre is to be an equestrian statue of his Majesty; and 3 streets, 52 feet wide, are to lead to it, each terminated with a fine building. But the principal approach will be one of the streets, called Barton Street, leading from Queen's Square to the Circus, in length 660 feet.
Hunt Vol IV p121
Original Width (mm)
Original Height (mm)
Bath Central Library
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission