The Old Walcot Poor House, London Road, Bath c.1820
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission
Previously the home of Harper's Furnishings, and now converted into flats. The front onto London Road was rebuilt in 1828, retaining the two long rear 18th century wings in Weymouth Street. Following the Poor Law Amendment Act, Bath decided to build a Union Workhouse and thus Walcot Poor House was sold to a Mr. Sutcliffe for å£840. In 1848 he opened it as The Ragged and Industrial School. In 1866 the school moved and was renamed the Somersetshire Certified Industrial Home for Boys at Devonshire House, Wells Road.
LP F128 / 314
Original Width (mm)
Original Height (mm)
Bath Central Library