Aerial view of the River Avon, Twerton, Bath c.1940
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission
The GWR line runs through the picture with Twerton station at the top. The Lower Bristol Road runs alongside. Top left of the photo is Twerton Parochial School, opposite Twerton Arch. The main feature however is the weir and the mills that once operated at Twerton. The two weirs that stretched between the southern bank of the river and Weston Island were amalgamated into a single sluice gate in a position just west of here (off the bottom of the photo. The navigation is visible lower left, with the bridge next to the Dolphin public house. Allotment gardens can be seen on Weston Island which is currently used largely as a bus depot. To the south of the railway (on the right) are some nice detailed views of Twerton around the High Street, including some washing on lines!
M/L Photos V20 / 40
Original Width (mm)
Original Height (mm)
Bath Central Library