South Portal, Combe Down Tunnel, Bath. Cutting in Midford Sands c.1895
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission
Taken from Nineteenth century photograph album of Bath & District. Bath Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. The cutting was a well known place to view the boundary between the Midford Sands (named by William Smith) and the base of the Inferior Oolite - the rock through which much of the tunnel is drilled.
72 / 10170 b914.238 / 41
Original Width (mm)
Original Height (mm)
Bath Central Library