Belvedere House, Landsown Road, pre 1860
3 0 c m
40cm
actual image size: 32cm x 22cm

Belvedere House, Landsown Road, pre 1860

© This image is not to be copied or published without permission

Description

Probably c. 1755 / 1775 by John Wood Junior. First occupied as a school, Belvedere House, by the Lee sisters in about 1781. They ran it until August 1803. The school was taken over by the Whittaker sisters of Frances, the youngest and the superintendent (with her husband Thomas Broadhurst, the Unitarian Minister of Trim Street Chapel) and her older sisters Catherine, Mary and Martha. The sisters, originally from Manchester, had moved from Knutsford in Cheshire. From 1809 Frances and Thomas ran the school, the others having returned to Knutsford, where they were key older players in the life of the young Elizabeth Gaskell. The school is thought to have closed sometime in the 1830s. However family members continued to live there until 1867, at which time the house was converted into the four apartment houses still there. The house was from then to now known as Belvedere Villas. The original caption states: Now converted into four houses called Belvedere Villas and occupied Sept 29 1860 (?)
 

Image Reference

20198
 

Collection Reference

Hunt Vol IV p.103
 

Original Width (mm)

172
 

Original Height (mm)

116
 

Collection Location

Bath Central Library
 

buy a print

Select size
 
Select finish
 
How many prints?
 
£20.00
 

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas