Describes the building of Fonthill Abbey and the problems in this. It is noted that on one occasion when the tower collapsed, Mr. Beckford's only regret was that he was not there to witness the catastrophe. However It was only timber covered in cement and the stone was not properly clamped to the timberwork. In 1847 Mr. Beckford moved to the Abbey whilst his mansion was being pulled down with he exception of one wing, and the materials bring transferred to the new works. Opened to visitors in the first of July and catalogues were one guinea each. The entire Abbey and contents was sold to John Farquhar. Also includes information on his archway in Lansdown Crescent.
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission