Belvedere House, Lansdown Road, pre 1860
3 3 c m
actual image size: 32cm x 25cm

Belvedere House, Lansdown Road, pre 1860

© This image is not to be copied or published without permission


Probably c.1755 / 1775 by John Wood Junior. First occupied as a school, Belvedere House, by the Lee sisters in about 1781. They ran it until August 1803. The school was taken over by the Whittaker sisters of Frances, the youngest and the superintendent (with her husband Thomas Broadhurst, the Unitarian Minister of Trim Street Chapel) and her older sisters Catherine, Mary and Martha. The sisters, originally from Manchester, had moved from Knutsford in Cheshire. From 1809 Frances and Thomas ran the school, the others having returned to Knutsford, where they were key older players in the life of the young Elizabeth Gaskell. The school is thought to have closed sometime in the 1830s. However family members continued to live there until 1867, at which time the house was converted into the four apartment houses still there. The house was from then to now known as Belvedere Villas. The original caption states: Now converted into four houses called Belvedere Villas and occupied Sept 29 1860 (?)

Image Reference


Collection Reference

Hunt Vol.4 Page 103

Original Width (mm)


Original Height (mm)


Collection Location

Bath Central Library

buy a print

Select size
Select finish
How many prints?

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas