A photograph taken shortly after the memorial was erected. Second daughter to Sir Andrew St John of Gayton, Norfolk, died January 2nd 1870. The main focus of the photograph is clearly on the new grave, but this relatively early photograph also contains a few glimpses of lost buildings. In the middle distance on the right is the old Twerton Gaol building with its massive chimney stacks, along with the Governor's House (which still remains). Just above the trees to the right of the grave is the old girder bridge that carried the Midland Railway over the river and Twerton East Buildings can be see just above. Twerton E. Bldgs fronted onto the Lower Bristol Road at the bottom of Brook Road and disappeared under the Pitman Press / Bath Press site after a remodelling of that area. Areas in the distance that are now home to Bear Flat / Poets Corner and the Moorfields estate are all still seen as fields.
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission