The Sedan Chairman' shelter, Queen's Parade Place, Bath, 1938
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission
The sedan chair was introduced into Bath by Sir Sanders Duncombe in 1634 although a less luxurious flat top Bath Chair was used previously. It was in general use in 1649 and the only means of conveying Ladies and Gentlemen to the entertainments, a few remaining until 1871. They were carried through the door on the left.
X11 / 94
Original Width (mm)
Original Height (mm)
Bath Central Library