The pre-atlas issue of Jansson's map of Somerset. Jansson had completed six maps for his new atlas of English county maps when he discovered that his bitter rival, Johannes Blaeu, was producing a considerably more decorative series. Jansson set about revising his maps and, by the time the full atlas appeared in 1646, a number of features of this map had been had been altered: the title was moved to the bottom left corner, to be replaced by coats of arms supported by putti; the scale was movd to the bottom right corner; Latin names for the cardinal points are added to the appropriate borders; and Jansson's name was added to the left of the scale. The galleons and the compass rose positioned in St Georges Channel were left unaltered. The only alteration to the map is in Devon where the name of Molland is moved to beneath the symbol. An uncommon map.
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission