Summerhill House, Sion Hill Place, Bath, December 1994
© This image is not to be copied or published without permission
c.1738 facade by John Wood the Elder, grafted onto the end of nos 1-2 Sion Hill place in 1934-6 by Ernest Cook of Thomas Cook fame, and benefactor of the Assembly Rooms. This was salvaged from Nos 24-25 High Street, Chippenham and since 1956 has been part of Kingswood School. This extraordinary oddity was moved not once, but twice, having believed to have been designed for Bowden Hill, Wiltshire in 1738, but on the owner's death, the unfinished house was sold to a Chippenham clothier, Thomas Figgins, and re-erected there between 1749 and 1777. Stylistically it resembles Wood's designs for the Exchange in Bristol. From a collection of colour 35mm slides by Ian Ollis of the Admiralty Camera Club.
Artist / Photographer
Original Width (mm)
Original Height (mm)
Bath Central Library